Let me just start off by saying: Photography is expensive, y’all. And I understand they’re trying to make a living doing what they love, but I’m also trying to get married without breaking the bank and also not ending up with pictures like this.
Everyone in my area that I could find was over $2000, some starting at $3200. That is just something I could NOT justify!
This is what I was looking for in a photographer:
- Digital photos/print rights for me, included
- 6+ hour coverage
- Pretty photos!
I didn’t think this was too much to ask, but apparently, the print rights thing is a huge deal.
I was searching through possible photographers for over a year at this point (yes, even before we were engaged). In all my searching, here’s what I determined:
- If you can’t have a professional looking website, I probably don’t trust your design skills…
- When you call your pricing an “investment,” it reminds me I’m probably going to spend a fortune
- No prices means you’re for SURE expensive.
- If you don’t email me back in a week…yeah.
- If we are casually talking and you ask me “Will you pay by Visa?”, it’s a little forward…!
Yeah so as for the last point up there ^^, there was a really outgoing guy a part of a huge photography “firm” in the area. He kept calling me and I didn’t even know what to say. But the more we talked and the more I reviewed their pictures, I wasn’t sold. They had standard filters that they applied so there could be a quick turnaround time, and I didn’t typically like how some came out great and some were not so much…
I posted a “HELP!” message on WeddingBee, and shortly after got a message from Justina, telling me about her packages and that she could use a credit for an engagement session for a day-after shoot instead!
She also is currently working on building her portfolio, and offered to waive travel fees from Minnesota. We are doing a day after session, and we can’t waaaait!
It was a PERFECT plan, and her pictures are beautiful!
All’s to say is, I should have looked on the ‘Bee a lot sooner!